Thursday, February 2, 2012

Voyage

Dear Philip Glass, 

First of all, happy birthday week, and I wanted to say a couple of things to you. Thank you for making me a more patient person, one who can now go into that moment of purgatory between consciousness and the dreamworld when listening to music that is not only yours, but Reich's, Adams's, Andres's, and many others. Thank you for composing a piece that I can play at the piano when I'm feeling too busy or unfocused and automatically calm down. Thank you for giving the world a movie that I could watch with my dad when I was 10 and realize that movies didn't have to center on interactions between humans. Thanks for making "classical" music something that everyone loves, even if just a little. And thank you for making sound the simple thing that it is, in the most beautiful way possible. 

Sincerely, 
Elena 



drawing of philip (by me)


No comments:

Post a Comment